Thursday, August 11, 2016

We are trying our luck at Fermentation here on the Farm :)

In a effort to use what we grow, milk or raise I am trying my luck at fermentation. I have read several articles on it both in magazines and online. This is some exciting stuff. I have purchased a one gallon crock from Ace Hardware. Now I purchased one with the lid and weights at mothers day. Right away I tried to make some sauerkraut. A little over a week into it I had moisture under the crock. I spent days trying to figure it out. only to notice a small crack in the side of the crock. Ace Hardware took it back with no problems. Because it was so easy I decided to give them another try. The price on the crock is excellent and because they are so easy to return I felt it was worth a second try. ( Wish us luck) We have the new crock and I am once again trying to make sauerkraut. I am also trying to ferment some cucumbers in a half gallon mason jar. I have it weighted down with a empty jelly jar filled with water. I place jar in a plastic container to catch any over flow and I am super happy I did. Last thing in the picture is an attempt to make curds and whey from fresh goats milk. This is attempt number two on the curds ad whey. I read about it and watch several videos this of course only intrigued me to do it myself.
I will keep you informed about my progress. If any one has easier ways to do this I am super interested. My mother said my kitchen will start to stink but hey we live on a farm. :) It seems like every thing stinks. LOL

Ok here is an update to how it is going on the fermentation. Today is August 14, 2016 and the curds and whey turned out perfect yesterday. In fact is startled me because in the morning I was walking around the kitchen and it looked like the above picture mostly and in the afternoon bam it was separated. The jar on the left with cucumbers and onion in it trying to ferment has been thrown out. I notice a layer of mold on the top of the water - it was pretty gross. So I have started another batch of curds and whey the cabbage in going strong and so far no leaks in the crock. What I will do now is some more research on the fermenting in a mason jar and see if we can give it another go.


Today is September 4, 2016 I just wanted to give an update on how the Fermentation is going. The Crock did not leak. Woo Hoo!! I am super happy about that. Ace Hardware came through on a great price and an item worth owning. I went out into the garden and got the last of the jalapenos. Final try at fermentation from the garden.  

No comments:

Post a Comment