Saturday, August 6, 2016

Duck Egg Cake -- Who knew ducks eggs were so Good??

The duck we have has stopped laying eggs. The season is over. :(  What really surprised me was that I now have a love of duck eggs. I have made several of these duck egg cakes and I use duck eggs in my meatloaf, really holds it together. Omelets made with duck eggs were super easy. I can say that with the two ducks I had laying not a single egg went to waste. ( that is on top of the chickens we have) Unfortunately during a sever thunderstorm one duck went missing (we suspect a fox) so for months that left only one duck to gather eggs from. I want you to know I went out and found more duckling for next year!
I am going to share the duck egg cake recipe with all the adaptations I did -- we think it is better than ever!

DUCK EGG CAKE
CAKE:
4 duck eggs ( separated-- use 4 duck egg whites and 3 duck eggs yolks)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup sugar

Lemon Glaze/Raspberry filling:
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup raspberry preserves

Frosting:
6oz cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Fair warning this is a involved recipe so get ready. ( BIG SMILE)  It goes fast when you get started.

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 8 inch pans. ( I posted a picture of them)

Whisk egg yolks in a small bowl until mixed completely. Mix flour and baking soda in a separate bowl ( I used a fork). Beat egg whites in a large bowl at medium speed until foamy. add 1/2 cup sugar increase speed ( I used the highest my little hand held mixer could do) until stiff peaks form.
Now gently mix yolks into whites by hand add flour slowly! I added the flour in small amounts -- Very important mix by hand. It will mix pretty quick - divide into the two 8 inch pans.

Bake 20-25 minutes until light golden brown, Top will be similar to a sponge and toothpick will come out clean. Cool on wire racks. I mix the lemon juice and sugar when the cakes were in the oven-- when the cakes are cooling on the racks I gently poke the top with the toothpick before I use all the lemon juice mixture on both the cakes. Do this while the cakes are still hot.

Mix the cream cheese and sugar. Add lemon peal and mix completely. Add in the heavy cream until icing looks firm. Now this part goes pretty quick. Mix in the vanilla with mixer. It is really good. :)

Now we get to assembly the cake. Place one cake on a platter ( I use a plate with a small amount of frosting on the plate to hold it in place) than you place the raspberry preserve on top of the cake. I put frosting on the bottom of the other cake before I put it on top of the raspberry cake. Now it is only frosting the whole cake. ( final picture) I put in the frig to set the frosting but it never lasts around our house more than a few days.

*******Ok here is my idea-- This is a really basic recipe and I feel so much can be done with it. Next year I am going to try orange juice (undiluted of course) - orange marmalade and use orange peel in the frosting. Just think though really could use anything that strikes your fancy-- this is like a blank slate what else could be combo together. ********* Next year........

No comments:

Post a Comment